I opened up my last firing this year today. packing and glazing was a rush job on Sunday, but the firing went well, was about two hours quicker than usual, and less trouble. I kept the gas on the same pressure all the way up from 1000C and reduction was steady, with a nice greeny orange flame. I had repaired the flue which was leaking, by placing ceramic blanket around it, and this seemed to work. unfortunately the arch is beginning to spread and sag, so I may well have to rebuild for safety’s sake – not quite what I want to do when rushing to make the pieces for the exhibition at the Lund gallery in January and February.
the sunshine was surprisingly warm in and around the sheds, it was perfect weather for unpacking. I am very pleased with the pots. the two big bottles came out really well, especially this one.
the combination of the fat rounded shoulders, the crazing of the porcelain over the main clay body and the combed texture make it very reminiscent of some old Chinese pieces.
the pale bottle worked very well too. most of this firing was glazed with the copper/tin/dolomite and the rust accretion wood ash glazes. when I was glazing the pots it was tipping down with rain and as the shino glaze bin is out in the open, there wasn’t much chance of using that.
I fired one of the bowls as well, glazed with the double dip, copper/tin/dolomite overlapped with the rust accretion wood ash glaze. I am very pleased with it. its hard to make a good dish or bowl in a press mould, but by pinching upwards the top two inches around the rim, I think I have given it more life. this one has three tiny feet, to raise it up a little. a foot, or feet always help a bowl shape.
the matt green on this funny little pot is absolutely perfect. it was on the bottom shelf, more or less in the middle of the kiln.
this is the first time I have fired this industrial crank. it’s a good looking clay, with a robust grog texture and plenty of iron in it, but it is horrible to use. like trying to make a pot with a pile of wet sand. this one is glazed with the barium carbonate glaze. I used the rust accretion wood ash glaze on this clay too, and it suits it very well.
this is the terracotta crank with the rust glaze on it. you can see the clay is fusing, as it is over-fired, but the metallic purplish colour blends in with the rusty glaze really well. so, last minute, done in a rush, almost an afterthought firing, and its one of the best.
you can see all the pots here