my finished pot shed is having a makeover, shelves covering three walls, and properly done, by Kay Corbett of Corpusty Woodwork. so all the pots had to come out, and are distributed around the garden. it’s very nice to see them out in the fresh air, being washed by the rain.

the garden is quite magnificent, all the rain has made everything grow like mad, except the vegetables …

red campion has been gorgeous for the past two months and continues to flower.

I have allowed some hogweeds to flower as they are spectacular, but I won’t be letting them set seed.

crowds of pots

old friends

and some for the bin, or to take away as freebies if anyone cares to – quite a few have been salvaged …

as for the latest firing, impatience got the better of me – I did light it and get it up to 550 C in the first hour .. so that could be the reason for this disaster –

the bottom fell out when I picked it up.

this was too tall for the kiln, I tried firing it on its back, and it distorted, producing a flattish back, several cracks, and a wobbly base.

this platter, I think was too thin, and the clay couldn’t take the stress of the layered porcelain – two major cracks and this morning after the sack truck went into it it’s in several pieces.

so the sole survivor of the four platters that were bisque fired – but it’s great, the glaze has wonderful warm rusty reds spotting and freckling into greens. this is using crank and T-material – tough clays – and I made it thicker. so that’s the way to go … experimentation is the only way to learn.

this morning I have most of the pots packed for Hatfield, and am just pondering how to squeeze everything into the campervan I have borrowed …