continuing the layering story; I decided the last two pots were not going as far as I wanted them to with layering the clay, I wanted something more like layers of filo pastry. so I spent yesterday making layers – rolling porcelain and the white crank out really thin and stiffening the sheets in front of the woodstove on boards before laying them onto the thicker buff crank which was already rolled out and hardening. because they were stiffer they didn’t bond with the bottom layer in the same way. I made two pots today which I am quite pleased with.

dscn0298.JPG

as the layers of sheets have nice shapes at the edges which don’t overlap they reveal the underlying layers, and they really are quite flakey.

dscn0299.JPG

it will be interesting to see what happens when they are biscuit fired – there may be air trapped between the layers which could blow some pieces off ….

dscn0300.jpg